Donate to Lisa!

Donate
Your gift could provide a one month supply of Tamoxifen, a drug used to treat breast cancers that rely on estrogen for growth, to a patient in need. Every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer. Your gift will help save lives! Your gift could provide a screening mammogram to an uninsured or underinsured person in need. Your gift could provide a breast prosthesis for an uninsured or underinsured woman in need. Your gift will help us reach our bold goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50% in the U.S. within the next decade!
Donate today to reduce the number of breast cancer deaths by 50%
in the U.S. in the next 10 years

My Goal
$250

Amount Raised
$530

I'm a...

Survivor

My Badges

My Story

Hello there! My name is Lisa Marcincavage and I've registered for the 2017 Komen Race for the Cure to 1) increase awareness and raise money for new and improved breast cancer detection & treatment, and 2) promote the continued "Fight for the Cure".

Please allow me to tell you about my experience with breast cancer. I hope you will find my story interesting and informative.

On December 26, 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IIb breast cancer. On January 11, 2016, I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. A week later, I had a small revision surgery. I recovered well from these initial surgeries and felt strong.

In February 2016, I received my power port and began chemotherapy: 4 rounds of Adriamycin + Cytoxan followed by 4 rounds of Taxotere. I had Neulasta injections after each treatment to combat infection. They say that many women breeze through these treatments with no lasting side effects. Others may experience a few rough days after each treatment, but bounce back to normal in due time. Sadly, I was not so lucky. I experienced extreme side effects and developed terrible infections.

I was hospitalized with pneumonia in March 2016. That April, I began treatments for a seroma at an incision site. What followed was a series of surgical and topical debridements, and extended hospital stays. I was fitted with a wound vac to promote tissue healing. By July 2016, my body rejected the right implant and it was removed. After several additional rounds of debridement plus wound vac treatment, I was left bruised and battered, but essentially healed.

Post treatment, I underwent preventative surgeries (complete hysterectomy and oophorectomy) and began rehabilitation efforts to address right arm and hand lymphedema, which had developed over time. Lymphedema complications are now a daily struggle; I realize that I will undoubtedly require continued therapy to keep them at bay. 

By December 2016, I was physically ready to return to my pre-cancer life. Emotionally, I admit that there is lingering impact, but every day gets better and better. Life is a gift I will always cherish.

I am forever grateful for the excellent care I've received and still receive from my family, friends, co-workers, physicians, doctors, nurses, volunteers and other medical staff. I wouldn't be here today without them.

Through my wonderful health insurance and the various free or supplemented programs available to breast and other cancer patients, I was provided vital treatment and support services essential to my successful plan of care. Many of these services are fully or partially funded by the money raised through campaigns like this Race.

For example, 75 percent of the money raised through the Race stays in the community to fund local breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs. The remaining 25 percent supports groundbreaking breast cancer research.

Will you please consider helping out by making a donation in my name? Any amount is appreciated and will be put to good use.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story today.  Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or would like more information about my experience or this fundraising event.

With best,

Lisa




Donate to Lisa!

Add your name to the list!

Your gift could provide a one month supply of Tamoxifen, a drug used to treat breast cancers that rely on estrogen for growth, to a patient in need. Every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer. Your gift will help save lives! Your gift could provide a screening mammogram to an uninsured or underinsured person in need. Your gift could provide a breast prosthesis for an uninsured or underinsured woman in need. Your gift will help us reach our bold goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50% in the U.S. within the next decade!
Donate
Lisa's Donors Are More Than Pink™!
Fundraising Honor Roll
Tara Ricci
$60
Kelly Radecsky
$60
Mrs. Hope Toole Schwalls
$50
Anonymous
Jen Kondracki
$50
Jaime Koralewski
$50
Patrick and Erin Kilduff
$50
Jim Hudak
$35
Keith Margalski
$30
Amy Saraka
$30
Hali Endress
Lisa Marcincavage
Tevin Conklin